Saturday, February 10, 2018

"city" squirrel


When I was little, I used to call these squirrels "city squirrels", because animals running around seemed to be a country thing. I was quite pleased to have them in the yard. They are Grey Squirrels, although they are anything but gray! When I was a teen-ager, I used to buy bags of peanuts and feed them. They would practically come in the house when I opened the door to give them a peanut! I had to use my foot to block them :) I photographed them, they all had names and I certainly could tell them all apart. My little 126 instamatic camera soon became my 35mm Olympus SLR. A have a photo album that is at least 5 inches thick. I had a lot of fun, except when they would run into the street.
So in honor of all my buddies from 40 years ago, I decided to make a "city" squirrel.


1:12 scale. Hand carved wood, painted then furred.








8 comments:

  1. Cela devait être charmant de voir ces petits animaux accourir pour recevoir vos cacahuètes, avez-vous encore des photos? Votre réalisation est parfaite, il semble vivant et il est si mignon ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci quel commentaire sympa. Oui j'ai toujours toutes les photos, bien que certaines soient fanées. Les développeurs de la pharmacie n'ont pas utilisé de bons produits chimiques à l'époque

      Delete
  2. Seriously adorable! Love how chubby he looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you This is how they looked in winter with their heavy coats on :)

      Delete
  3. So cute! I'm a squirrel lover from way back. When I lived in Los Angeles I had one I used to feed Pistachios to.. He used to come into the living room and tell me off if I tried to pass of peanuts or any other substandard (in his opinion) nut. I only stopped feeding him when he literally bit the hand that fed him... lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a cute story! Sorry he bit you but it was fun while it lasted :)

      Delete
  4. Hello Linda,
    Magnificent work. I looks so real...I keep expecting it to just run off. As always I am in awe of your talent.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete